Greece is a popular destination year-round with travellers visiting from across the globe, to either explore the isle or lay basking in the Mediterranean sun. The crystal clear waters and rich history gives Greece its rank in the high spot on tourists’ wish lists.
If you’re planning a trip and wondering when is the best time to visit Greece, here are the prime times to visit if you’re after good weather, affordable prices or fewer crowds.
Table of Contents
- The best time to visit the Greek Islands!
- The best time to visit Greece for guaranteed sun!
- The best time to visit Greece for avoiding crowds!
- The best time to visit Greece for budget travel!
- The best time to visit Greece for adventuring!
- The best time to visit Greece for Nightlight and Honeymoons!
- Greece travel tips!
The best time to visit the Greek Islands!
Although Athens and the rest of mainland Greece are great destinations year-round, each of the Greek islands has its ownbestmonths for visiting. Whether you’re heading to one destination for your full stay or island hopping, here’s a breakdown of the best times to visit each Greek Island.
- Mykonos – June to September
- Santorini – April to June & September to early November
- Crete – June & September
- Rhodes – June & September
- Naxos – June to September
- Paros – June to September
- Ios – July to August
- Corfu – June to July & September
- Nafplio & Peloponnese – June & September
The best time to visit Greece for guaranteed sun!
If you’re after a sunny Greek getaway, the summer months of June to August are when you’ll want to visit and top up your tan. In June, temperatures rise to an average temperature of 27/28 degrees Celsius, with August seeing the temperature soar above 30 degrees Celsius. This is the best time to visit for a dip in the ocean and lounge poolside, but it’s also the busiest time on the island so expect lots of tourists and large crowds in the most popular destinations.
If you’re wanting nice weather but lesser crowds, then visiting Greece during Spring (late April to May) and Autumn (September to early October) still has warm weather in the lower 20 degrees Celsius range. Nights will be cooler and there’s always a chance for cloudy days or rain showers, but these months are when the tourist scene will be lower so crowds can be avoided.
The best time to visit Greece for avoiding crowds!
If the beach doesn’t interest you and you’re not bothered about hot, sunny weather, then visiting Greece in the winter months (November to February) is your best choice. It’s a lot cooler, with the average temperature being 10 degree Celsius, but there are far fewer crowds if your biggest concern is avoiding them.
To compare the winter and summer months, statistics on arrivals to Greece (mainland only, not including the islands) saw 219K tourists arrive in November 2021, compared to 844K tourists in April 2022.
However, it’s worth noting that during the winter months many venues, restaurants, hotels etc, do close due to the low demand, so be extra careful when searching for accommodation and ensure there are attractions open for you to visit if you’re heading to Greece in the winter.
The best time to visit Greece for budget travel!
Like most destinations, the shoulder season in Greece is the time to snag the best travel deal if you’re on a budget. March to April and September to October see more affordable accommodation prices along with flight deals, so a Greek getaway could be on the cards if you’re looking for the best value for money.
Skyscanner data from 2018 shows that November was the cheapest month for flights to Greece, whilst July was the most expensive month, so if you’re not too bothered by the weather and want to save money then travel outside of the peak summer months.
The best time to visit Greece for adventuring!
If you’re into sightseeing, then the months of April to May and October are the prime time choices for fewer tourists and mild weather that’s perfect for walking. It can be a bit too cold for swimming or sitting on the beach, but if you’re visiting for the uninterrupted views then this is the time to go.
The sailing season in Greece is from April to Mid-November, but from April to June the price is lower and the scenery the greenest, which makes these months the perfect time for travellers wanting to explore the ocean.
Those into mountain hiking should choose April or May, when the weather is ideal for trekking and the flowers are in bloom, giving a fantastic landscape to witness. October can also be a great month for mountain hiking, within similar weather but the season changes to autumn foliage if you prefer the fall hues.
The best time to visit Greece for Nightlight and Honeymoons!
The Greek isles bring swathes of partying tourists year after year, in particular Mykonos, Paros, Ios and Santorini, the ultimate party destinations within Greece. As most venues are outside, those looking to dance, party and listen to live music should visit in July and August.
Newlyweds looking to Greece for their honeymoon beach destination should visit between June to September, to bask in the hot sun with their new partner without a care in the world. If you’re a couple that’s more into quiet, sightseeing and romantic hideaways, visiting in the Spring and the Autumn until early November are great options if the beach isn’t for you.
Greece travel tips!
A few tips from us for travelling to mainland Greece or the Greek isles.
- Naxos is touted as the best island for families, whether you have kids or don’t, this is the island to explore for families but should probably be avoided in peak season for travellers without children.
- Santorini boat tours are best from June to September.
- Athens sightseeing is best from April to May and October to early November.
- Mykonos beaches and nightlife are at their peak during July to early September, hotels should be booked three to six months in advance.
- High season across all Greek destinations runs from June to early September, with August being the most expensive month of them all.
- Santorini and Crete are great winter destinations, with many hotels and restaurants staying open for tourists. Santorini hotels should be booked four to eight months in advance.