Planning a trip to the Mexican state of Quintana Roo but can’t decide between Cancun or Tulum?
Both places are some of the best beach destinations in Mexico, and if it’s your first time visiting, we’re here to help you make the decision easier.
Deciding if Cancun or Tulum is right for you will depend on what type of traveler you are and what you wish to get out of your Mexican holiday.
Benefits of Staying in Cancun
Located on the end of the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is a popular destination for many American spring breakers and travellers looking for an all-inclusive holiday that is easy to get to.
There are many benefits of staying in Cancun, including
- No matter where you stay, the airport is around 20-minutes away
- The amazing nightlife in the Hotel Zone
- The beaches are spectacular
- There are many watersports available, from paddle boarding to kayaking, jet skiing and surfing
- It is an all-inclusive hotels destination
- There are great surf spots in Playa Delfines
- Close to beautiful islands, such as Isla Holbox, Isla Mujeres and Isla Blanca
Like anything, Cancun also has some cons, including
- It’s a very young city made for tourism without much local, authentic feel
- There are no boutique hotels
- All of the hotels in the Hotel Zone are expensive, so the cheapest hotels are in the downtown area
- There is no walkable street to take a stroll on before going to a restaurant, bar or nightclub
Benefits of Staying in Tulum
Located further south in the state of Quintana Roo is where you’ll find Tulum, a more authentic, less tourist-driven holiday destination.
So, what are the benefits of staying in Tulum?
- The majority of accommodations are boutique hotels, with the exception of apartments and luxury condos in the jungle area
- The downtown area is the perfect place to take a stroll, sit in a cafe or enjoy a meal in a restaurant
- There are plenty of trendy clothing shops of all prices
- Tulum is surrounded by beautiful cenotes
- You can rent a scooter and drive everywhere
- It’s only a 90-minute drive to the charming city of Valladolid
- The nightlife is more laidback
- There is an excellent variety of restaurants for every taste and budget
- There are plenty of beach clubs
However, the downsides of staying in Tulum include
- It’s located two hours south of Cancun Airport
- The downtown and beach area are 10km apart
- Credit cards are not accepted most of the time
Cancun or Tulum: Which is Better?
Located on the end of the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is a great place to stay if you’re looking for an all-inclusive hotel destination where you can relax during the day and enjoy the great party scene at night.
However, if you’re looking for a more authentic, laid-back Mexican holiday experience with fewer tourists and beautiful beaches, Tulum is the place for you.
So, where will you be choosing to stay in the beautiful state of Quintana Roo?