Are you thinking about planning a trip in March but aren’t sure where to go?
March is when many destinations in the Northern Hemisphere begin to bloom after the cold of winter, and in the Southern Hemisphere, March is the perfect time of year to enjoy the end of summer!
So, where should you go? From the snow in Whistler to the crystal clear water in the Maldives, here are the 15 best places to visit in March.
1. Malaga, Spain
Temperatures: 19°C high / 9°C low
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Located in the south of Spain, Malaga is one of the best places to travel to in March because the weather is already sunny and warm enough to spend your days on the beach.
Although Malaga isn’t as famous as other cities in Spain, such as Madrid and Barcelona, it has a certain charm that is definitely worth experiencing.
Home to beautiful beaches, excellent restaurants, galleries and museums dedicated to Picasso, there is plenty to see and do in the city of Malaga.
Whether you want to indulge in paella, swim in the Alboran Sea or experience a traditional Spanish siesta, some of the best things to do in Malaga in March include
- Take a tour of the Alcazaba
- Soak in the view from the Gibralfaro Castle
- Wander through the Picasso Museum
- Hop on a boat tour
- Hike the Caminito del Rey trail
- Explore the White Towns of Andalusia
2. Whistler, Canada
Season: Spring/ski season
Temperatures: 7°C high / -2°C low
Currency: Canadian Dollar (CAD)
If your favourite holidays are centred around activities in the snow, Whistler in Canada is one of the best places to visit in March.
Located in the Pacific Ranges above Vancouver, Whistler’s snow season runs from November to May. However, the best month to experience powdery snow days is March.
This time of year is perfect as the sun is shining, yet there is still heavy powdery snowfall, the slopes and lifts are less busy, and rates are cheaper! What more could you ask for in a winter holiday?
Not only is Whistler a great place to enjoy activities in the snow, but the village itself is also worth spending time in. The chalet-style pedestrian village is located at the base of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains, where you can warm up in a cafe with a cup of hot cocoa after a long day of shredding the slopes.
Some of the best things to do in Whistler in March include
- Hit the slopes on skis or a snowboard
- Go snowshoeing at Whistler Olympic Park
- Experience the thrill of ziplining
- Relax at the Scandiave Spa
- Wander the pedestrian-friendly streets of Whistler Village
- Sip on a hot chocolate in a warm cafe
3. Cayman Islands
Temperatures: 29°C high / 22°C low
Currency: Cayman Islands Dollar (CI$)
While the Caribbean is a warm place year-round, the best time to visit the Cayman Islands is in March when the prices drop.
As you’d expect, the Caribbean is a popular holiday destination over the Christmas and New Year period, drawing in plenty of tourists from the USA. However, when the crowds disappear, and the hotel prices drop in March, it becomes the perfect time to visit.
The Cayman Islands is made up of three islands, all unique in their own way. For the ultimate Cayman Islands holiday, we recommend spending time on each island.
- Grand Cayman: The largest island in the country is known for its beach resorts and various scuba diving and snorkelling sites.
- Cayman Brac: This island is a popular launch point for deep=sea fishing excursions.
- Little Cayman: The smallest island in the country is known for its diverse wildlife, from endangered iguanas to seabirds.
With endless sandy beaches and crystal clear water to epic watersports, there is so much to enjoy on a holiday in the Cayman Islands.
Some of the best things to do in the Cayman Islands in March include
- Swim among the stingrays at Stingray City
- Meet turtles at the Cayman Turtle Centre
- Climb a limestone bluff in Cayman Brac
- Explore the crystal caves in Grand Cayman
- Snorkel around the Kittiwake Shipwreck
- Snorkel with bioluminescence
4. Southeast Sicily, Italy
Temperatures: 18°C high / 9°C low
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Like any place in Europe, the further south you head, the warmer it gets. So, if you’re looking for a warm place to visit in Italy in March, southeast Sicily is one of your best choices!
This little island off the coast of Italy is home to one of Europe’s sunniest cities, Catania, making it a perfect place to base yourself.
Although the temperatures don’t get higher than 20°C in Sicily in March, you’ll still get eight hours of sunshine each day, allowing you to wander through the different baroque cities and explore the dunes and lagoons on the island.
Some of the best things to do in Southeast Sicily in March include
- Wander through the streets of Noto
- Indulge in Sicilian wine at Pupillo Wines
- Catch some rays at Fontane Bianche
- Explore Mount Etna
- Watch the sunset in Ortigia
- Visit Syracuse, the largest city in the ancient world
5. The Maldives
Temperatures: 30°C high / 27°C low
Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa
Like most tropical places, The Maldives has a wet and dry season.
Situated in the Indian Ocean, The Maldives is one of the best countries to visit in March because the dry season means sunshine and warm temperatures every day and high chances of spotting manta rays and nurse sharks.
There are so many amazing things to do in The Maldives, depending on which island you visit. Some of the best things to do in The Maldives in March include
- Night snorkelling
- Island hopping
- Swim with manta rays
- Soak up the sunshine on white sand beaches
- Catch a scenic flight over the islands
- Parasailing over a local island
Home to 1,200 islands, it can be hard to choose where to go in the Maldives. Let us make it easy for you! Some of the best islands in The Maldives to visit include
Although there is a common misconception that you need lots of money to visit The Maldives, that isn’t the case. The Maldives can easily be done on a budget, especially if you visit one of the local islands.
Temperatures: 12°C high / 8°C low
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Although it may seem like Ireland is always cold and rainy, it’s one of the most naturally beautiful countries in the world. And the best time to experience Ireland in all its glory is in March.
What better time to visit the country that never disappoints than during the month that celebrates St Patrick?
Not only is March a perfect time to celebrate, but it’s also a great time of year to visit some of the most beautiful sights in the country, such as Donegal’s wild beaches and the breathtaking Cliffs of Moher.
Some of the places you must visit in Ireland are Galway, where you can get a pint of Guinness at one of the many colourful pubs and explore the historic streets of the capital of Dublin.
Here are some things you can’t miss while travelling through Ireland in March
- Go to a St Patrick’s Day Parade
- Drive along the Causeway Coastal Route
- Hop across to Achill Island for the day
- Hike the Slieve League Cliffs
- Cycle one of the Greenways
- Walk through the wildflowers in Burren National Park
Temperatures: 24°C high / 13°C low
Currency: Jordanian Dollar
If this fantastic Middle Eastern country has been on your bucket list for a while, then you’ll be happy to know that Jordan is one of the best places to visit in March.
There is so much to love about Jordan. Not only is it a country full of ancient history, but there is also so much natural beauty waiting to be explored!
Home to the ancient city of Petra, the super salty Dead Sea and the Greco-Roman ruins in Jerash, the best time to explore these wonders in the country is in March during the dry season!
Some of the best things to do in Jordan include
- Visit the ancient city of Petra
- Float in the Dead Sea
- Wander through Jerash’s Greco-Roman ruins
- Camp under the stars in the desert
- Explore Wadi Rum
- Go canyoning in Wadi Mujib
8. Puerto Rico
Temperatures: 22°C high / 16°C low
Currency: United States Dollar (USD)
If you’re sick of the wet and cold and looking to enjoy a holiday on the beach, then Puerto Rico is the place for you.
Located in the beautiful Caribbean, the best time to experience this island is March, as the beaches lose their crowds and the humidity begins to lift.
Not only is Puerto Rico known for its beaches, but it’s an island with a breathtaking landscape made up of mountains, waterfalls and the El Yunque tropical rainforest.
There are plenty of activities to do in Puerto Rico in March, including
- Soak up the sun on the beach
- Explore the El Yunque tropical rainforest
- Whale watch in Rincón
- Wander the cobbled streets of San Juan
- Swim under Gozalandia Falls
- Hop on a sunset cruise
9. The Philippines
Temperatures: 22°C high / 16°C low
Currency: Philippine Peso (PHP)
If you’ve had enough of the cold in Europe and want to go somewhere where you can have your toes in the sand daily, look no further than the Philippines.
While the Philippines is a tropical nation with warmth year-round, March is the perfect time of year to visit because the humidity has dropped and the sun is always shining.
There are plenty of wonderful places to stay in the Philippines, but if you’re looking for a beach holiday with adventure, book a trip to the islands of Palawan or Boracay.
Palawan and Boracay are two very different islands, so it’s best to know which one is for you before booking a trip.
Located in the central Philippines, Boracay is the most famous island for tourists. Known for its resorts and beaches, Boracay is the place to go if you want established areas and plenty of choices.
Palawan, on the other hand, is the hidden gem of the Philippines and is known for its crystal blue waters, excellent diving spots, and pristine beauty. If you want to go somewhere that isn’t a huge tourist hotspot, then Palawan is for you.
Some of the best things to do in the Philippines in March include
- Swim in a natural lagoon
- Soak up the sun on the beach
- Explore underground rivers
- Beach hop
- Zipline through the trees
- Marvel at the Banaue Rice Terraces
10. Sorrento, Italy
Temperatures: 19°C high / 13°C low
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Nothing says welcome to spring more than visiting the beautiful blooming Amalfi Coast.
A bucket list destination for many, one of the best places to travel to in March is Sorrento in Italy. March is the best time to visit as the flowers bloom, the vibrant towns get eight hours of sunshine each day and the streets are filled with limoncello stalls.
Located on the northern side of the beautiful Amalfi Coast, there is so much to see and do in the quaint village of Sorrento. Some of the best things to do in Sorrento in March include
- Wander the streets indulging in limoncello
- Sit by the sea enjoying a long aperitivo
- Hop on a sunset cruise
- Head across to the island of Capri for the day
- Watch the buildings light up as the sun goes down
- Swim at Bagni della Regina Giovanna
11. Fes, Morocco
Temperatures: 21°C high / 8°C low
Currency: Moroccan Dirham
If you’re looking to plan a holiday that’s a little different from the rest of the destinations on this list, head to Fes in Morocco!
Bigger than the popular destination of Marrakech, the imperial city of Fes is the place to go for an authentic Moroccan experience.
As one of the best places to travel to in March with moderate temperatures and sunshine, some things you can’t miss in Fes include
- Visit the Dar Batha Museum
- See the oldest tannery in the world, Chouara Tannery
- Marvel at the Al Quaraouiyine Mosque
- Wander through the Fes Medina
- See Africa’s Oldest University: Kairaouine
- Soak in the views atop Mount Zalagh
12. Adelaide, Australia
Temperatures: 26°C high / 16°C low
Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
If you’ve never been to Australia but are a big fan of Australian wines, then one of the best places to visit in March is Adelaide.
The month of March is when grape pickers are busy plucking bunches from their vines, making it the perfect time to wander through the hills south of Adelaide.
While the Barossa Valley gets the majority of the tourists who are wine enthusiasts, you can’t miss visiting the Fleurieu Peninsula. Home to 70+ cellar doors, artsy towns and breathtaking coastline, the Fleurieu Peninsula is waiting to be explored.
While vineyard hopping may be a popular thing to do in Adelaide, there are plenty of other activities to enjoy, including
- Wander through the Adelaide Central Market
- Spend a day on the beach
- Visit a range of speakeasy bars
- Watch the sunset from the top of the Adelaide Oval
- Make your way through the galleries and museums
- Check out the Adelaide Botanic Gardens
13. Nuuk, Greenland
Temperatures: -5°C high / -10°C low
Currency: Danish Krone (DKK)
Have you ever dreamed of visiting the Arctic Circle? Well, the best time to do that is to visit Nuuk in Greenland in March!
Although March may be the first month of spring, it’s still extremely cold, adding to the excitement of being in the Arctic Circle! Not only that, but the temperatures and weather conditions in March mean you have a higher chance of seeing the Northern Lights, the Aurora Borealis.
Some of the best things to do in Greenland in March include
- Hop on a scenic boat ride where you can encounter whales and walruses
- Wander through the Greenland National Museum
- Marvel at the art in the Nuuk Art Museum
- Visit the stunning Nuuk fjords
- Tick off a bucket list item by watching the Northern Lights
- Try authentic Greenlandic food
14. Quintana Roo, Mexico
Temperatures: 33°C high / 19°C low
Currency: Mexican Peso
If Mexico has been on your travel list but never found the right time to go, you can have peace of mind knowing that one of the best places to travel to in March is the Mexican state of Quintana Roo!
While many people would choose to visit the west coast of Mexico in March, there is something special about Quintana Roo.
Set along the Caribbean Sea, home to the popular destinations of Cancun and Tulum, March is the driest month of the year in Mexico, making it the perfect time to experience the best of what Quintana Roo has to offer.
With white sand beaches, turquoise waters and Mexican ruins to explore in the region, there is so much to do in Quintana Roo.
The best thing about this Mexican state? No matter what you’re hoping to get out of your holiday, there is something for everyone! Some of the best things to do in Quintana Roo in March include
- Swim in the different cenotes
- Visit the Cancun Underwater Museum
- Spend a few days on Holbox Island
- Wander through the Tulum Ruins
- Indulge in many a taco while watching the sunset on the beach
- Go scuba diving in Cozumel
Temperatures: 29°C high / 23°C low
Currency: Omani Rial
Finally, the last of the 15 best places to visit in March is the understated and incredibly beautiful country of Oman.
Located in the Middle East, Oman couldn’t be more different to its more famous neighbour, the UAE.
Unlike the commercialised United Arab Emirates, where skyscrapers are aplenty, Oman is natural and pristine, perfect if you’re looking to go on a holiday spent in nature.
March is the best time to travel to Oman, as you will miss the winter crowds and beat the extreme Arabian heat.
Some of the best things to do in Oman include
- Hop on a cruise to see the dolphins in the fjords of the Musandam Peninsula
- Visit the emerald waterfalls in Wadi Shab
- Marvel at the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
- Wander through the streets of the capital of Muscat
- Experience the misty greenery in Salalah
- Camp in the desert (Wahiba Sands)
March is the perfect time to go on a holiday in both Hemispheres because of the low prices, fantastic weather, and little to no crowds.
Whether you want to go on a tropical getaway, go skiing in the Canadian snow, or head Down Under, there are so many places to visit in March.
Which place are you going to visit next March?